This is a topic near and dear to us, SEO is an amazing way to promote your website, gain new visitors, and the best part about it is that you don’t have to be a huge Fortune 500 company to have it help your website show up on Google, Yahoo, and Bing. We will start out by just giving a basic definition of what it is just in case it’s new to you.
Search engine optimization is is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine‘s unpaid results – often referred to as “natural,” “organic,” or “earned” results. Per Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization)
How can your Charlotte business use this amazing tool called SEO to gain visibility by the search engines? This list isn’t all of the ways but some good starting points.
- First, start off by identifying your target market, audience, and ideal customer.
- Figure out what short tail, long tail, and keyword phrases best suits your products and services to have strategically placed with natural flow on your website. Think about it as such, make sure it sounds like you are having a conversation don’t just throw words in places and it doesn’t sound right. It has to be natural. Otherwise you will be doing something we call “black hat” SEO and that’s very bad for your business website.
- Another item is making sure that your pages have relevance to one another, smooth transition from one to the other is a good practice.
- Even though this is further down the list but it’s always very vital to any SEO campaign is making sure that you have great useable content on your site.
- Whether it is documents to download, infographic pictures, or whatever. Just make sure it’s good quality content that matches what your visitor is looking for. Also another note is to make sure your images/pictures have the appropriate alt tags on them. Don’t have a pic named 20120515pic.jpg on there if it really is a picture of a boat, that is if you are selling boats. The reason why that’s mentioned this is because the spiders/bots that the search engines sends to crawl your page does not see the page like the human eye does.
- Making sure that you don’t have broken links is another big thing to consider making sure you have inline. If you have broken links, it hurts your chances of being ranked well on the search engines. Remember all links have to go to a live page somewhere. Use 301 redirects if needed.
- Lastly, remember that good SEO takes time so be patient. If anyone says they can guarantee top spots on 1st page of any search engine, you need to run fast. However, if they have a good track record of getting on the 1st page at least consider working with them.
There are plenty more tips that can be added to this but you get where we are going on this topic. A SEO consultant like us can ensure that you get the SEO strategy you need set up. If you need assistance on where to start or even need someone to work on this with you, we are here to help. We focuses on Local SEO in Charlotte so we are local and ready to help.